The Submit Grades tool in Canvas allows instructors to complete the final grading process in Canvas and submit those grades directly to Gulfline.
- To enable full functionality of the Submit Grades tool, you must turn off your browser’s pop-up blocker
- If you use the Submit Grades tool in Canvas for your Final Grades, DO NOT enter Final Grades directly into Gulfline
- Submit Grades is for Final Grades ONLY; do not use it for any other purpose
If your Canvas gradebook is set to “View ungraded as 0”, the grade displayed in the “Course Total” column of the Submit Grades Tool may not match the grades displayed in the Canvas gradebook
- After the grading deadline, you will not be able to access the Submit Grades application. You will receive an error message alerting you to the fact that it's past the grading deadline and who to contact if needed.
- Error Messages will display after clicking 'Submit' should an error occur with the grading. You will be notified of the error, why it occurred, and given the ability to handle it immediately. The 'Return to Grading' button returns you to the grading list where corrections are made.
- Non-Banner Courses will now receive an error message to alert you that this is not a Gulfline/Banner gradable course. This is important to note since a 'Submit Grades' link displays for all course listings in Canvas, whether they are Banner or not.
Submitting Final Grades
- Access the course to be graded from your Canvas Dashboard or Course List. From the Course Navigation Menu click the Submit Grades
2. If asked to authorize the application, click the Authorize button to continue
3. When the student roster, current grades from Canvas, and information from Gulfline is compiled, the class roster will appear. This provides you with the opportunity to review and change grades as desired. *NOTE: Initial data compilation may take a few minutes, especially for larger classes; please be patient.
- Cross List buttons - If the course is cross-listed and you have the ability to grade more than one section, a button for each of the additional course CRNs will appear; to change sections, click the appropriate CRN button.
- Hide submitted grades checkbox –controls whether students with grades previously sent to Gulfline display in the class roster; select the checkbox to hide previously submitted grades.
- Show # of entries–controls how many students appear in the class roster; click up or down to adjust number of viewed entries
- Search– enter text to filter the roster to names containing that text
- Final Grade- click the dropdown arrow to display all valid grades for the student; select from menu to apply grade *NOTE: if a grade has previously been entered, you may change it now
- Last Attendance Date –enter the Last Attendance Date of the student; optional for most grades, but some (such as “F”) require date. Date entry rules are the same as Gulfline, and can be entered in the following format:
- month/day/year (year can be two or four digits)
- month/day (year will default to the current year)
- monthday (month and day must be two digits [ex: 0405 for April 5th]; year will default to current
- Check All –click to select all checkboxes displayed on the screen in the “OK to Submit” column; prior to selection, students must be graded and Last Attendance Date supplied, if required
- Submit Checked Grades – click button to submit grades for all students selected in the “OK to Submit” column, even those not currently displayed.
If a specific grading scheme has been established for the course, the associated grade based on that scheme will appear in parentheses next to the numerical value in the Course Total column
*NOTE: It is not necessary for all students to be graded to submit Grades to Gulfline; you may send grades over in batches or individually
4. Once Submit Checked Grades is clicked, you will be prompted to enter your nine-digit UIN; enter your UIN and click OK.
5. Grades will be posted in Gulfline; a pop-up will appear showing student names and status submitted grades.
In the following example, Beta, Student’s grade transferred without issues, however, there was a problem with Alpha, Student’s Last Attendance date and the grade was not transferred to Gulfline. Click OK to close the popup message
Navigating to the grading screen in Gulfline shows that Beta, Student has a grade entered, while Alpha, Student does not
6. The Canvas Class Roster shows Beta, Student’s row is no longer editable, indicating that the grade was successfully submitted to Gulfline. However, Alpha, Student’s row is highlighted, indicating an error in grade transmission.
*NOTE: If Hide submitted grades is selected, students successfully graded in Gulfline are removed from the class roster and omitted from Search. De-selecting Hide submitted grades returns the students to the roster and includes them in Search.
7. Click the highlighted row in the Class Roster to display errors
8. Correct the date and re-submit the student’s grade to Gulfline; pop-up message indicates that Alpha, Student’s grade was successfully submitted; click OK to close the pop-up
9. Returning to Gulfline indicates that both Alpha and Beta have grades entered and Last Attend Date has been entered for Alpha, Student
The Submit Grades screen in Canvas now shows the Alpha and Beta student grades successfully submitted; no further changes can be made. Delta and Epsilon students are still available for editing and grade submission.