In order to effectively work from home, staff/faculty attempting to do so should have a minimum set of technology in order to do so effectively. This technology may be supplied by each department or may consist of personally owned devices.
Each person approved to work from home should follow these guidelines for an understanding of what may be required to work from home.
These are minimum specifications that should be considered. Higher specifications might provide a better experience.
- Laptop using current generation Intel Core Series (i3, i5, i7, i9) or AMD Ryzen equivalent processor
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 256GB hard drive
- Docking station for the laptop
- 21” or larger monitor
- Web cam, microphone, and speakers
- Wireless internet (WiFi)
- Windows 10 or Mac OS X
- High speed Internet access at home (10mbps per device is a good rule of thumb)
- Consider buying a keyboard cover for use with your own computer in case you bring it to public areas, or are using a public computer in a lab
- FGCU does not support tablet devices, mobile phones, or Chromebook devices as primary work from home devices
- Faculty – check if you have specific requirements for software that you are using to teach your curriculum
- FGCU provides full time staff and faculty a free copy of Microsoft Office. For more information on how to obtain this, please visit https://fgcu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043547112-Installing-Office-365-Suite-from-Webmail
- ITS has a list of standard configurations that can be used for working at home and at the office. More information: https://www.fgcu.edu/its/staff/computerconfigurations