Access to and on-going use of a computer is required for all students. Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) recommends each student entering the university acquire computer hardware and software appropriate to his or her degree program. Coursework requires use of a computer and a broadband connection to the internet. Academic advising and registration can be done by computer. Official university correspondence is often sent via e-mail and other services are provided that require access through the Internet.
While the university offers access to computer software through its physical and virtual computer labs, all students will be expected to own a computer. The cost of meeting this requirement should be included in financial considerations.
While all students’ experience is unique, the following are general recommendations to consider when purchasing a computer for your time as a student at FGCU.
These are minimum specifications that should be considered. Higher specifications may provide a better experience.
- Processor: Current generation Intel Core Series (i3, i5, i7, i9) or AMD Ryzen equivalent
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 250GB hard drive/SSD
- Web cam, microphone, and speakers
- Wireless internet (WiFi)
- Windows 10 or Mac OS X (High Sierra or newer recommended)
- High speed Internet access at home (10mbps per device is a good rule of thumb)
- FGCU does not recommend students rely on tablet devices, mobile phones, or Chromebook devices as their primary computer.
- Consider purchasing an extended warranty and accidental damage protection for the duration of your academic pursuits.
- Some academic programs may require the use of Windows based applications. If purchasing an Apple computer, ensure you have at least 64GB of free space. More information can be found at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
- FGCU provides current students a free copy of Microsoft Office software. For more information on how to obtain this, please visit: https://fgcu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043547112-Installing-Office-365-Suite-from-Webmail
- Students may obtain software and hardware from vendors at a discounted rate, as follows:
- Dell student page - https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/delluniversity/cp/delluniversity
- Microsoft student page - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/education
- Apple student page - https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop
- The university provides access to many applications via AppsAnywhere. For more information please visit: https://www.fgcu.edu/its/appsanywhere/